High Point University

New York Times bestselling author speaks at High Point Library

Katherine Center, author of bestselling novels “How to Walk Away” and ‘Things You Save in a Fire.” Photo by katherinecenter.com

By Nicole Prince

News Editor

Bookmarks of Winston-Salem partnered with the High Point Library for a meet-and- greet with New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Katherine Center. Anyone and everyone was invited for a reading, discussion and book signing as part of Center’s book tour for her latest novel, “Things You Save in a Fire.” Center has written six other bittersweet comic novels about family and love including,“How to Walk Away,”“The Lost Husband,” “Happiness for Beginners,”“Get Lucky,”“Everyone is Beautiful” and “The Bright Side of Disaster.”

She began the event by talking about the first novel she wrote in the sixth grade, a fanfiction about the 1980’s band, “Duran Duran,” and how it sparked her obsession with reading and writing stories. “I was sinking in the sixth grade,” said Center. “I did not have one kind word for myself, and I really needed some encouragement. I managed to invent five famous, deadly handsome, fictional rockers who could say all the kind things to me that I refused to say to myself.

It was the moment in my life when I fell in love with fiction. I realized that stories can save you, that stories can change your perspective, that stories can help you see the world from a different angle, that stories can give you something to look forward to, that stories can make you believe in hope. I did not know how to articulate any of that, but I sensed it. From sixth grade on, I wanted to be a writer.”

She continued with expressing the power stories have on our lives. “I have spent about 30 years trying to figure out what that magic was,” said Center.“Why is it that fiction is so powerful? There is something very special about fiction because it exists in between things that are true and things that are not true. It bypasses your intellect, goes straight into your heart and talks to your emotions and to deep parts of yourself that the rest of the world cannot access. That is what makes it so special to me, and that is what makes it particularly good for teaching us lessons that we need to learn.”Center also speaks about how writing and reading stories impacts our lives.

She gave a TEDx talk at the 2018 TEDx Bend, entitled “We Need to Teach Boys to Read Stories About Girls.” Her talk emphasized the importance of empathy and how it helps us to connect with others. She believes that stories have the power to teach us how to empathize. Center did not mention her TEDx talk at the High Point Library event, but she did express other philosophical thoughts.

“I have a theory that we should all follow our own compasses on reading, that you should read the books that you love, not the other books that people think you ought to love,” said Center. “You should read the books that work for you in a certain moment in your life. That is why my battle cry has become ‘Read for Joy’ because I think you can teach yourself things you need to learn when you follow your own compass about what you want to read.”

“There are things that I need to learn as a human that I sort of try to teach myself through stories. I think fiction is uniquely qualified to help us learn to do things. You kind of merge with the main character. Whatever that main character is learning, you get to learn it too. I like to write stories about how life knocks us down, and we find a way to get up and keep going. That is why people’s lives fall apart at the beginnings of my stories, and we watch as they figure out ways to put things back together. I would never run a main character over with a bus in the last chapter of my books, but I might do it in the first chapter because I want to see how that person pulls it together in the wake of that moment.”

She also commented on the prevalence of humor in her otherwise tragic tales. “For me, comedy and tragedy live side by side. I think humans need comedy because we know exactly how hard life is, exactly how hard we are going to have to struggle and exactly how much our hearts are going to be broken. We need something to help make it better.”

After several brief synopses and discussion about the connections between her latest novels “How to Walk Away” and “Things You Save in a Fire,” Center revealed her fourth novel, “The Lost Husband,” is currently in film production, starring Josh Duhamel, Leslie Bibb and Nora Dunn. The movie’s release date has not been announced.

When asked about her development as a writer from the sixth grade to the present and the different hurdles she has encountered along the way, Center explained some of her arduous journey and inspirational practices.

“I did everything you could possibly do to be a writer,” said Center. “I did everything I could think of. I wrote poems about heartbreak. I wrote for the school newspaper. I did creative writing classes.”

After winning a creative writing scholarship in high school, Center went on to attend Vassar College to major in creative writing, where she also won the Vassar College Fiction Prize. She returned home to Houston, Texas, after winning a fellowship to attend graduate school at the University of Houston’s Creative Writing Program.

“I had plans to become Jane Austen very quickly, you know,” said Center. “I thought, ‘How hard could that be?’ I had all this early encouragement and success, and then it all kind of came to a halt. I kept sending out these stories and trying to get them published. Back then, there was no internet. I spent a lot of years questioning the meaning of life, and lying on the floor and quitting. I had a lot of training, and I always studied really hard. I also kept journals from sixth grade all the way through college.

I think what made me better, and I think this is a great tip for life, is I think when you learn how to read stories, and how to talk about stories, you learn how to criticize. You learn how to pick stories apart and see what is not working. Somewhere along the way, I stopped doing that when I was reading, and I started looking for what was right with the stories that I was reading.

When I review a book, I write about what I loved about the story, what delighted me, what caught my attention, what made me curious. Once I started doing that, I got better as a writer because I started looking for what was right, and I learned a lot from doing that.”

High Point was Katherine Center’s last stop on her book tour before returning home to Houston, Texas. Center said she is currently working on another novel that involves a character from one of her earlier novels. Center encouraged readers to subscribe to her newsletter at katherinecenter.com, and go to Facebook (@katherinecenterfans), Twitter (@katherinecenter) and Instagram (@katherinecenter) to learn more about Center’s upcoming events, public service announcements, novels and positive inspiration.